Friday 22 November 2013

Digipak research

When I was told that one ancillary task was to design a digipak for the album, I did some research before I chose which tasks I should do. I did this because I didn't know what a digipak was, or how to make one.

What is a digipak?
After doing some research online, I found a few definitions and descriptions of what it is. In my own words I have found out that a digipak is a type of packing that is often used for CD singles or special editions of CD albums. They typically consist of a gatefold book style that have one or more holders for CD's or extra information, attached inside.


What is the digipak for?
The front of the digipak will have some aspect of what the artist represents and what their predominate genre is. The digipak will most likely incorporate a theme and message about the artist. Therefore this emphasises the artists brand and image which could increase the popularity of the artist. It also demonstrates the creative approach that the artist is taking throughout the music and even music video. For example, if there is some futuristic idealism conveyed in the lyrics or the visuals of the music video, then the digipak wouldn't be very contemporary but more obscure.

How does the digipak benefit the artist?
Digipaks benefit the artist and their music as its promotional aspect of the music industry which helps bring awareness to the artist, and therefore selling the artist and encouraging consumers to buy and listen to their music. You could argue that buying a digipak establishes your loyalty to your artist.

Digipaks I like

I couldn't find a digipak for klangkarussell, for this reason I searched for other digipaks by artists.


I particularly like Rihanna's digipak as she keep continuity throughout all of the sides, which I believe makes it more visually appealing. Therefore, I will try and create a digipak that sticks to a sort of theme or continuity throughout.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment